Sunday, October 21, 2012

"American"

I remember growing up and not sure what it really felt like to be an American. Not really feeling as though I was the typical American. I grew up in with many different cultures and felt as though to have this experience made me different. It wasn't until I started traveling that I realized the true 'American' culture. Furthermore it wasn't until I had a new American volunteer placed at my site that I realized how American I was. I know that I have talked about the guilt that I felt of all the advantages I have as an American but I also must add something else. I am truly proud to be American. Though I am sometimes frustrated with all the injustices that I see in America, overall I am grateful for the progress with we have made over the last 200 something years. We have our problems but in general things run a little bit smoother than in developing countries. We are individualist, we speak out if we don't agree, and for the most part we aren't afraid of change. It is these qualities I believe that have allowed us to be where we are today. I must say I am not the most patriotic person and at times I was almost embarrassed to say I was American. But now I see that we may do some things I don't agree with I am very blessed to raised in America. I don't have to worry about my parents marrying me off at the age of 14. In America for the most part: I don't have to worry about if I have safe drinking water. I don't have to worry about speaking out against the government. There are so many things that I am grateful for in America. But most of all I'm proud of what my ancestors endured in both continents of Africa and Europe to come to America for a better life. The other day I had to explain the political and historical context that has lead Malawi to be the way it is. In general it has to do with the political history that has lead to slow development. That is not to say that I am not happy to be here. I love Malawi for so many reasons and love my work. I just ask that in the future we can help developing countries with development and not aid. I always say to myself baby steps or ' you may plants seeds and not see the harvest, but that doesn't mean it's not growing'. And then my favorite, my sort of mantra that I think of everyday for myself and others, “Be prepared at any moment to change who you are, to become the person you will be".

No comments:

Post a Comment