Sunday, March 3, 2013

29 years!

Today is my birthday. Which among all things is a day to celebrate. It means at the end of the day I have been lucky enough to be on this earth for another year. This last year has been one full of tremendous challenges, life changing moments and incredible growth. Last year at this time I was having a surprise party before I left for Malawi. All my family, friends and loved ones gathered to wish me well on my journey. At that moment I had no idea what was in store for me. I say if you really want to get to know yourself, go half way around the world were you don't know anyone. live with a family where you barely know the language. Learn a culture and history that is not your own but really is your own because it's he cradle of human beings. All of this and more will make you feel more alive than you have ever felt before. But I must warn you. When you do so it will come with the most realist emotions you have ever felt. If you are not careful you could be overwhelmed. But if you look at the situation just right, you will find the gal for growth. You will the opportunity to do the right thing. You will find the opportunity to step outside yourself and really decide who you are. Most importantly, in all the chaos you will find beauty. Like when you hear a jazz song that seems chaotic, yet suddenly you hear the harmony and don't realize how you miss it his whole time. For those moments I am grateful. I'm grateful for the peace that it brings me. I'm grateful for the good people in my life who support me from thousands of miles away. I'm grateful for the good moments that I enjoy because I have waited for them. I'm grateful that even though I may not be in a place of abundance, some how I always have what I need. Finally I am grateful for my health that has allowed me to make this journey while still maintaining my stride. So yes this is a lot. But it is my life in a nutshell. Most importantly I  grateful for you the reader who cares enough about me to read my story. So thanks!

1 comment: