Sunday, March 9, 2014

The story of "Jane"

This month marks my 30th Birthday. What a place to mark such a special occasion. I was grateful that on my 30th birthday I was able to celebrate with the great friends that I also came to Malawi with exactly 2 years ago. I can still remember my feelings at that time as though it was yesterday. I remember the anticipation mixed with sheer terror. I remember having no idea of what to even expect. I feel now that life can never really give you more than you can handle. Looking back now, I know that I am exactly where I am suppose to be. For that reason I have extended my contract for an additional 6 months to finish "unfinished business". Though I struggled with this decision for a long time, I eventually came to this conclusion with a lot of faith as well. I am grateful that 2 years later I still find things that are unfamiliar, exciting and at times uncomfortable. It is that uncomfortableness that allows for a person to grow. To be pushed beyond normal limits. To become that person that we all hope to be. But most of all I'm grateful for my community who continues to be a great support system for me. Now I would like to tell you a story of a girl in my village that has given me passion for my work, in hopes that one day I can help combat and fight for people like this.
The Story of "Jane"
Jane is a 18 year old girl in my village. Both of her parents died when she was a child in the height of the HIV/AIDS epidemic. She was born with the disease without a choice. She started taking the ARVs when she was a young child, not even knowing what the medication was for. It wasn't until she was in the 7th grade that she heard women gossiping at the borehole that people who have HIV take their medicine in room 5 at the hospital. Terrified that anyone would find out that she is positive she became nervous. When she went away for secondary school, her aunt who raised her arranged with the headmaster that she could take the medicine from him everyday. Afraid that people would find out she stopped taking her ARVs. By the time she came back to the hospital she had a terrible rash and TB as a result of a lowered immune system. Since then we have been able to send her back to school with the help of well-wishers. In Malawian culture because the girl is a niece to the aunt, her uncle stopped supporting her financially including paying her school fees. As a result she sat at home waiting for nothing. Until a well-wisher was able to sponsor her at school. She was afraid to go to school locally as the schools in my catchment area aren't of the best quality.  ( If one wants to be a nurse in Malawi you must have good grades, and as this is her dream she knew it wasn't possible with a mediocre school )She also had fears of the gossiping women that might gossip about her HIV status and boys would tease her in school. She then found a school about 40 minutes away that allowed her admittance. She has had a second chance with this school. She has found other girls that are positive and they can support each other. She has good teachers and a good support system there as well. The only problem is boarding in secondary schools, gives little options for diet. The food is so poor that she is unable to go a month without some type of illness as her immune system is again weakened by the poor diet. We have tried to talk her into going to a local school so that she can have a better diet at home, but she refuses. She know that if she goes to school locally she has little to no chance of advancing professionally. Therefore, she risk her life, literally to go to school. Each time coming back from school holidays, more ill and thinner.
But it is my hope that with better policies to support "Jane" and better systems in place future Jane's can live better lives. It is my hope to work to help the next generation face less stigma and less struggles just to get an education...

No comments:

Post a Comment