Thursday, June 5, 2014

Are you a Hippo or a Cheetah?

It's been a while that I have written and I must admit that as time has gone on I write less and less. It doesn't mean that I have lost hope in blogging or communication with those that are interested in my experience. It just means that the more I spend my time here, it becomes less extraordinary and more ordinary. Recently there was a NPR podcast about the 'haves and have-nots' . Spending my last two years with the 'have-nots' it has given me a unique perspective of how more than half of the world lives. And how that has changed over history. The question is asked during this podcast, should we continue to send aid to developing countries? Are we really making a difference?
This question I think lingers in minds of most who serve their countries in the name of development. Some say yes and some say no. What do I think after spending more than 2 years in rural community in one of the poorest countries in Africa? It's not that simple, I say yes and no. As I have learned as volunteer over the time, it's not what I do but what I don't do that really matters. Yes I can physically start programs and help with new innovative ideas. I can help launch programs that help reach Millennium Development Goals. I can give in a way that makes me feel good. But what is it that I think at least my community needs? I think they need capacity building. Which is what I am told by people,is what I should be doing. Either way you should listen to this podcast and see what you think. Then you can see if you are a Hippo or a Cheetah?

http://www.npr.org/programs/ted-radio-hour/?showDate=2014-05-30

No comments:

Post a Comment